This is a perfect mid-week recipe that is easy to prepare- and the oven does all the hard work. It’s also cooked in one pot, so less washing up!
Don’t be afraid to add a flavour base from shop-bought curry paste, then add extra spices for the wow factor. If you have saffron available, add a pinch for a delicious honeyed flavour and vibrant colour to the dish. Top with freshly chopped coriander and crunchy pumpkin seeds.
2 tbsp sunflower oil
1 onion, roughly chopped
1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped into cubes
1 small courgette, chopped
1 yellow pepper, sliced
6 cherry tomatoes, halved
Handful of green beans, ends trimmed
Handful of frozen peas
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 rounded tbsp medium curry paste (I used Sainsbury’s)
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp chilli flakes
500g basmati rice
1 litre vegetable stock
Pinch of saffron
Juice of half a lemon
Handful coriander, chopped
1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
1. Pre-heat the oven to 190C/ Gas mark 5
2. In a heat proof dish, heat the oil and onion over a medium heat until the onion is softened but not browned. Add the sweet potato, courgette, pepper, cherry tomatoes, green beans, frozen peas and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes until slightly softened. Stir in the curry paste, turmeric and chilli flakes until the vegetables are covered.
3. Sprinkle over the basmati rice and stir through
4. Stir the saffron into the vegetable stock until it dissolves. Pour the stock over the rice and vegetables. Cook in the oven for 35 minutes until the liquid has absorbed.
6. Remove from the oven and squeeze over the lemon juice. Sprinkle with coriander and pumpkin seeds.