I walked past a fruit market on Saturday and was intoxicated with the seasonal scent of clementines. Shiny, bright and leafy, they looked as festive as their fragrance.
Naturally, I couldn’t resist a box. I’ve said it before and I will say it again, I love a crumble. For me, fruit baked with a crunchy topping is one of life’s true pleasures. So I’m delighted to share this creation with you.
To flavour the clementines, I cheated a little as I didn’t have the time to caramelise sugar; so I used dark muscovado sugar to give the darker flavour. Almondy amaretto is the perfect flavour partner to fresh clementines, especially when paired wintery spices. The topping is crisp and crunchy with granola oats and ground almonds too.
This crumble will fill your home with the scent of Christmas and is a perfect end to any festive feast.
1 rounded tbsp dark muscovado sugar
8 clementines, peeled and sliced roughly
4 tbsp Amaretto
2 tbsp water
2 cinnamon sticks
3 whole star anise
For the topping:
50g plain flour
50g ground almonds
100g coconut oil, semi solid at cool room temperature
2 tbsp granola oats
2 tbsp demerara sugar
1. Pre-heat the oven to 220C/ Gas mark 7
2. Add the muscovado sugar to a pan and heat gently over a low heat for 1 minute. Add the clementines, squeezing the juice gently into the sugar. Spoon in the Amaretto, water, cinnamon sticks, star anise and clove. Cook over a low heat for 5-10 minutes until thicker and caramalised, then remove from the heat.
3. In the meantime, make the crumble topping. Mix the flour and ground almonds in a bowl and add the coconut oil. Use your finger tips to rub the oil into the almond-flour mix until it resembles breadcrumbs. Stir through the granola oats and half of the demerara sugar.
4. Remove the cinnamon sticks, star anise and clove from the clementine mix and discard. Spoon the fruit and syrup into a heat- proof dish and level out. Sprinkle over the crumble topping and scatter with the remaining demerara for extra crunch.
5. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the golden and serve immediately.